Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Rod Stewart, Great Under the Covers

I'm not sure if this is one of those commonly known facts about me or if I've long kept it hidden out of fear of attack, but I'm kind of indifferent about the Beatles. I mean, really entirely indifferent. It would be a very strange moment for me to ever actually put on a Beatles album. So it's even stranger that lately I've been obsessively playing not the Beatles, but solo Paul McCartney, which, across the board, is basically terrible (terrible!). That said, "Maybe I'm Amazed" is a great song.

To make me feel moderately better about this, I've rediscovered a cover of said great song by the Faces, a band I've always found really surprisingly underrated. Okay, maybe not so surprisingly. Rod Stewart is terrifying. But two Ronnies! Anyway, the cover might not quite be the original, but it's pretty swell.

MP3 The Faces / Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul McCartney Cover)

And since apparently the Faces were equal opportunity cover-ers, they also have a pretty solid cover of John Lennon.

MP3 The Faces / Jealous Guy (John Lennon Cover)

While I'm at it (and trying to play blog catch up): This stab-yourself-with-a-kitchen-utensil sad version of the same song is maybe the complete and utter opposite of Rod Stewart, who you know was never feeling insecure. Oh, Elliott.

MP3 Elliott Smith / Jealous Guy (John Lennon Cover)

No comments: